Given 2 hours to decide on a transfer
19/10/2010 0:26 am
Hi can anyone give me any advice on my situation. I have been waiting for a transfer for over 6 years. I live in a TINY box of a classed as a 1 bed flat with my six year old daughter. We finally ended up being 1st for a flat i bid on. The flat was advertised last Tuesday and the viewing was 4 days later on the Friday. We went along but couldn't view the flat as the guy from Peabody had the wrong key. We finally got to view the flat today (Monday) and were then told no 1 and 2 on the list didn't want it so it was ours if we did. The flat is on the other side of London - in Archway - we live in Battersea. We are desperate for more space but obviously this is a massive move for us in terms of any family support or social networks ( I am a single mum). Peabody gave me two hours to decide whether I want the property otherwise they would give it to someone else.
Obviously, asides from getting to terms with the fact that we will have to start a whole new life with regards to any support or friends, I have to find a new school for my daughter. I went to see the local school who told me they are hugely over subscribed and that anyway I would have to go through the council. In the 2 hours that they gave me to get home and try and make some calls to the council etc I could not get to speak to anyone to give me any advice on finding a school for my daughter.
I spoke to Peabody at 3pm - my 2 hour deadline for accepting/declining the flat - I explained my situation and begged for another 24 hours to decide a massive life changing decision for me and my daughter. They refused and said that I would be wasting their time. Eventually they agreed to give me until 5pm that day - a further 2 hours.
My question is - is it right for them to give me 2 hours - then 4 after much begging - to give them an answer as to whether I can move to the other side of London and find my daughter a school. These are huge huge decisions with many possible consequences and although I am desperate to move for some much needed extra space - can they tell me that I will lose my right to the flat if I don't reply in such a short time.
Any advice would be really appreciated. I am desperate to know where I stand.
Very many thanks if you have managed to read all of this...
Sort: Newest first | Oldest first
27/03/2013 11:27 am
Margaret - although you accept in 2 hours you generally get longer than that to move. Contracts and such need to be exchanged first so you'd normally get a few weeks to pack everything into boxes.
On top of that it's not 2 hours between finding out there's a property and accepting it you have 4 days (or about that it can vary) to decide if you want to even bid on the property. That gives you time to research the area, the schools, public transport, etc. If you do some research before you place a bid that can really help you to feel more ready to make an informed choice.
When you view on the private market you normally have hardly any time to decide because there are sometimes 10 or even 12 people viewing the property straight after you. You need to have already considered all the other factors so that if you want it you can say to the estate agent yes otherwise one of the many other people looking for private rented accomodation will snap it up.
26/03/2013 4:04 pm
I can't believe, the expert on post above julie fadden, comes out with the old chestnut - is there any other area of the counry you'd love to move to - ?... And then of course if you even choose another area of the country - and nothing happens - the next expert will advice you - is there 'another; area of the country you'd like to move to - ?... I just can't believe it. the original expert has made very clear were she wants to live - but why her HA should meet the challenge of housing someone in a good area everyone wants to live in, she is just a tenant after all and she should look outside london for her move... passing the buck to another 'area of the country; is not going to help her, is it... It looks like the next expert advice will be have you ever thought of moving to another country - ? with similar effect... Hopefully the housing association will move to another area of the country and free all her stock for tenants who want to live where they want to live.
26/03/2013 10:39 am
i don't know where these people come from that reply. all housing associations should give you ample time to view, and decide whether you want the property or not. 2 hours is not enough time. I'd appeal to peabody for more time to decide whether you want to move in or not. then maybe get your mp involved. realistically you have packing up to do cos not everyone starts before they actually get a move. what gets me is that people who have commented here are anonymous.
25/04/2012 2:01 pm
have you considered registering for sites like homeswapper and placing your propertie on gumtree that way you dont have to rush
19/12/2011 4:25 pm
You have to make the right choice for you and your daughter - if you make the wrong decision and end up in the wrong neighbourhood you will have to live with that, so if it doesn't feel right don't rush into it. The landlord does have targets to meet but sometimes the targets cloud the fact that we are dealing with peoples lives here and it is not that easy to switch scools, find support networks etc. You are trying to do the best thing for your daughter - the problem is you are looking for accommodation in the most high demand area in the country and that is why your choices are limited. is there anywhere else in the country you could move to as you may have better options if you widen your choice of area - where else do you have friends or relatives that could help you relocate? Good luck with your search, I hope you find what you need soon!!
Inside Housing staff post
03/05/2011 9:46 am
The latest comments from anonymous are not acceptable, but have been allowed to remain on the site because the person they are directed at has responded. Further comments of this nature will be removed.
02/05/2011 3:27 pm
No one holds a gun against the head of a homeless person on taking or not a property? And the homeless person has the freedom to reject an unsuiitable property and stay longer on the street until the right one comes long in a couple of years or even nevers?
No one hold a gun against the head of a tenant who has been desperate to move for 15 or more years a she has the freedom to say no to an unsuitable property and wait another 15 years?
02/05/2011 8:42 am
From the tone and context I take it you have been a victim of what you describe?
As I said, you can try place all the blame on the Housing Officer (or me in this case) but I still maintain that the tenants should take some responsibility and do some research before bidding a property and refusing it before they even get through the door. If they have done some "homework" then it should just be a case of turning up, looking at the inside of the property and giving a yes or no, what do you need more time for? Pick out interior colours? Where are you going to put the TV? Those type of things can be reflected upon at a later stage.
Remember, no one is holding a gun to tenants heads say "take this or die", they can and do refuse (all to too often). I'd like to think (and maybe I've set my expectations too high) that someone who wants to accept a property has considered how it will impact their life (schooling, travel and other social factors).
With regard to your point about rushing tenants and a new transfer request. I have been in the sector for 9 years, I have let over 120 properties across all of London and do you know something,I've never had a case where the tenant has moved in and called me up to request a transfer again. Strange?
The transfer list never really shortens does it? Tenants apply every day, so it only grows. Remember once that new tenant moves in their old property is now void and the process starts again.
02/05/2011 7:39 am
You give 10' - 15' to tenants to decide on a transfer?... It looks like you are not very good at your job. A better housing officer would give them 5', imagine how much more effective this would be. And the best housing officers would give them 1' to make the whole enterprise perfect for a landlord.
Another thing you forget when you mention how much are you saving on your superfast decision method of rushing tenants into reckless decisions is the fact that the same tenants will be filling a new transfer request form the next day following the transfer. How much savings is that?
Helping tenants into a place right for them to live in and wanting to stay in it doesn't even cross you mind. You are only concerned in getting a fast yes or no even if that means that instead of shortening transfer listsin you are making them longer and causing misery to the tenants you transfer.
01/05/2011 8:23 pm
so it seems you have all sorted it out very well - in the interest of the landlord of course.
For whose benefit is the transfer system? the landlord.
Aren't you surprised the choice lettings system - which means no choice by the way you describe it - is failing tenants all over? But why should you care, as long as it works all right for the landlord