Sunday, 25 January 2015

Getting tenants to pay arrears when on HB

Posted in: Need to Know | Ask the Experts

06/08/2011 6:50 pm

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this discussion

Sort: Newest first | Oldest first



Mark Jolly

Mark Jolly

Posts: 2

26/08/2011 4:43 pm

I work in A youth hostel in West London and the rent is £158.63 per week which includes bills, clients have their own cooking facilities but have to share bathroom facilities.

I would say this is high.

Am I out of touch?

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Ivana Hart

Ivana Hart

Location: London
Posts: 13

26/08/2011 7:41 am

HA rents are far from too high. They are subsidised by the taxpayer. If you think HA rents are too high, what about market rates then? 

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

26/08/2011 1:51 am

Perhaps the rent is too high?

It is often so high as to discourage people from working.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

26/08/2011 1:50 am

Arrange a realistic repayment plan, if somebody can ill afford the rent, they will struggle to repay it all at once, court costs benefit neither the landlord or tenant.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



26/08/2011 1:22 am

Helping someone on HB with arrears, I discovered that one major problem was that while the HB was paid direct to the landlord, the rent rises were not reported by the landlord to the HB department - this is not allowed. The tenant had health problems that made it impossible for him to cope with this seemingly minor piece of bureaucracy, and rent arrears built up. The rent arrears letters from the landlord were terrifying to the tenant so were hidden and ignored.  The larger the arrears the more terrifying the situation became to the tenant. The landlord's letters were fierce and over-officious from the start.  For people who cannot cope with rent and rent rises for whatever reason, and for tenants who request it, the option should be available to have both handled between landlord and HB office, with the tenant being kept informed. 

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Expert post

Mike Wilkins

Mike Wilkins

Posts: 45

18/08/2011 6:11 pm

Normally I would write to tenants in arrears a sort of 'stage one' letter, given that this is a relatively small amount, i.e.
 "I see you are in arrears of £X  please could you make arrangements to pay this sum by ....
It might make sense to check that the Housing Benefit claim was up to date.
Big arrears always start small, so its good to be on the case early - there might be a big problem lurking behing that small sum.
With one weeks arrears you cannot take legal action but there may be an odd amount that has been missed in the past.
Find out when the arrears started, it mignt have been on the books for ages without the tenant knowing about it. Mike

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Daniel Thurlow

Daniel Thurlow

Posts: 21

17/08/2011 1:06 pm

Need to have 4 weeks arrears fo rdirect deductions

Just give them a chance to pay by instalments, if they don't serve a NOSP. That should get them to pay. If not take them to court, so they can have the court costs on top.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Rick Campbell

Rick Campbell

Location: Macclesfield CHESHIRE
Posts: 424

08/08/2011 12:14 pm

Through direct deductions from their state benefits may be an option ?

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Rate this topic

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

You must be signed in to rate.

Post a Reply

You must sign in to rate this topic or make a post

sign in register

Why not register?

Registration allows you to sign up for newsletters, comment on articles, add posts in the forums, quiz our panel of experts, and save articles and jobs in the My IH section.

Register now

Newsletter Sign-up

Most active members

Most recent posts

  • From Rexroth, 19/01/2015 6:50 pm in To what extent can a RSL advise residents on financial matters.

    They need a licence.

  • posted Anonymously, 15/01/2015 11:17 pm in forced to end assured tenancy to start a joint one

    Can I ask as to how she is forcing you out? Has she asked you to leave or has she ended the tenancy? 

  • posted Anonymously, 14/01/2015 4:12 pm in Homeless occupant not being assisted by council

    Thanks for this.  The individual appears to be vulnerable so ive tried to assist him by advising him about the homeless route and the information he needs to obtain to prove that he is vulnerable (there is a complicated situation in regards to this indivdual and the tenant that left the property which I can't go in to here) and I'm hoping he has attended CAB for assistance.

  • From Alan London, 13/01/2015 6:11 pm in Relationship break down and moving out with housing association tenancy

    Thanks. No info on the website regarding assignment or succession but in the tenancy agreement it only refers to the subject when talking about the death of the tenant. My partner is still quite young and although it would be nice to have the ability to assign...if it exists, there are other questions to be considered. Her job is not secure and she has been told that if she should need to claim housing benefit in the future then she would only be able to claim for half the rent should my name still be on the tenancy. Were ...

  • posted Anonymously, 05/01/2015 9:27 am in Housing Officer issues

    Hi Andrew,

  • From Rose007, 21/12/2014 4:22 pm in Death, Secure Tenancy, Downsizing and relatives moving in

    I advise you to seek proper advice on this.  There are many people that provide advice on this site that is not necessarily correct.  Have you now succeeded to the tenancy or is that still being looked into.  The Localism Act introduced further rules relating to succession.  caselaw is Newport CC v Charles considered by court of appeal.  The son kept up a pretence his mother was still alive when she had died a number of years previous.  The initial court hearing granted possession under Ground 16 which was overturned on appeal as more than 12 months had passed ...

  • posted Anonymously, 13/12/2014 5:01 pm in Shared Ownership and extending the lease

    Hi Again

  • From Zoheb Chaudhry, 27/11/2014 10:10 am in damp/ mould

    Hello there dawn,

  • From Zoheb Chaudhry, 27/11/2014 9:49 am in Damp,mould and disrepair- Professional Advice Please

    Hello there,

  • posted Anonymously, 24/11/2014 4:58 pm in Couple one over 65 bedroom tax advice

    I am over 65 and live in a small council flat. I suffer from spinal arthritis as well as other health problems. I have decided to swap my flat with a housing association tenant whose flat is slightly larger than mine I.e an extra small bedroom. I am looking ahead as I may eventually be confined to a wheel chair. I have been told that I would not have to pay the bedroom tax.  I live on my own and would be living on my own if the swap goes through. Does anyone know if I have to pay ...

IH Subscription