We believe that government plans to cut the £21 billion housing benefit bill risk driving thousands of vulnerable people from their homes and into poverty. The What’s the Benefit campaign is about finding a fairer way of getting the bill down.
What is the government planning?
- Limits of £250 for a one-bed property and £400 for four or more bedrooms.
- Local housing allowance rates set using the bottom 30 per cent of rents rather than the median from October 2011. It will be linked to the consumer price index, rather than the retail price index. There are 1 million LHA claimants in the UK.
- Cutting housing benefit by 10 per cent for claimants on jobseekers allowance for more than a year.
Support the campaign
You can support the campaign by:
- Signing our online petition.
- To join the list of our backers send us an email with a picture and a line explaining why you support the campaign.
- Or express your support through Twitter or Facebook. Include the phrase 'housing benefit' in your tweets so we can find your responses and display them below.