Wednesday, 30 July 2014

CBL - medical information in assessment of banding

Posted in: Need to Know | Ask the Experts

08/10/2011 11:39 am

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this discussion

Sort: Newest first | Oldest first



leslie  Williams

leslie Williams

Posts: 1

08/10/2011 1:52 pm

You will be able to get a form, from your LA fill it in with all the information you have on your medical conditions with the supporting papers and the names of the Doctors who can confirm the details. They may ask you to go for a medical of their own, just to confirm what you say is right, or you may get a visit from them, don,t worry they deal with this a lot.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



08/10/2011 5:22 pm

Under what ground of "identified need to move" was your band C awarded, overcrowding or medical? If it was the latter then one would expect you have already had to submit such a form as Leslie suggests above, can you confirm this?

You need to be careful when playing the medical banding game. Some LA's/HA's have been known to keep your bedroom size entitlement the same in order to get you into accommodation that would accommodate (no pun intended) your medical condition.

I.E if you are currently overcrowded on a band C, but on a 5th floor block with no lift in a 1 bed, you submit forms for medical conditions you might find yourself awarded a band B but for ground floor 1 bed only. The logic behind this is to remove any H&S issues associated with you remaining in the 5th floor in the event of fire or incident.

The adage "remove you from the danager and sort out the overcrowding afterward" springs to mind.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



08/10/2011 5:25 pm

Also for those that are crying out "thats illegal, they cant do that". Yes they can.
It only becomes a breach of the Housing Act 1985 if they transfer you into a smaller property then you are currently residing in. Transfering you into another 1 bed wouldnt be a breach of the above Act. If they transferred you into a studio then there would be cause for redress.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



Location: Surrey
Posts: 3

08/10/2011 5:33 pm

Sorry I've not been very specific but thank you both for your input thus far.

Housing Options team placed us in a 4 bed private rental 2 years ago due to basically zero social housing becoming available in the Borough. Just before we were housed we had priority homeless status (band B) and then obviously this fell away to band C once we were rehoused. I was warned this would happen but we were put under duress to take the (extortionate) private rental.

I'm heading towards the latter part (time wise) of a Section 21 notice currently as the Landlord wishes to return to the family home. I understand we won't move up from band C until an eviction order has been served but it was also suggested to me recently that my physical/mental health issues should be flagged up to help our case. I have no idea if this would help or not.

What I do know is that private rents here (Surrey) are some of the highest in the country and moving every 1-2 years is having a detrimental effect on my health but I can't make 3/4 bed social housing properties appear where there are virtually none. It's all so frustrating and soul destroying if I'm honest!

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



09/10/2011 9:12 am

I regret that having your soul destoryed wont get you band B, nor will the stress/strain of moving every 1-2 years. You'd be hard pressed to convince any GP worth their salt to upgrade your banding based on that.

Really the priority bands are reserved for those with a true medical need, what you've mentioned isnt one. The banding system works on how the current property or situation impacts your health every day, as you've stated its the moving every 1-2 years, could you give us a little more details on what alements befall you when you have to move, in order for us to let you know if you have a case or not?

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



Location: Surrey
Posts: 3

09/10/2011 9:42 am

Absolutely Anon and I wasn't suggesting those particular points would help upgrade banding, merely just thinking outloud as it were with regards to the system but I also understand that system is under immense pressure with such massive waiting lists.

I have a GP letter of support here. My surgeon is also happy to provide supportive medical evidence as is my psychiatrist. Sadly I have several health probs that are more serious than anxiety over moving house. Bi-polar disorder/co-morbs, malabsorption syndrome (due to the removal of a portion of my intestine) which creates all manner of co-morbidities, osteoporosis and 2 ruptured spinal discs. Due to the complexity of these conditions I was just wondering about the best way to present this information in relation to housing assessment. 

Thank you for your time in responding.

Apologies for not addressing an earlier point about my banding. I'm sorry to say that I don't really know which 'identified need to move' section of C banding I fall into. That has never been made clear to me. I should obviously look into this.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



09/10/2011 10:59 am

No problem.

I must say I wish all tenants had your outlook with regards to CBL, it is truely commendable given the illnesses/conditions you have stated.

As Leslie said get hold of another medical assessment form, get all of your GP's notes (they might charge for this) and send them all in. With my current employer we outsource medical self assessments to a third party to make the judgement if the situation warrants an upgrade in banding (i will add its a registered Doctor with GMC). It is likely they will wish to contact your GP/Surgeon etc, make sure you have the most up to date details for them on your latest form. But please bare in mind that your conditions will be judged on how they will impact your housing need, not on how severe they are.

Best of luck 

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Expert post

Will Nixon

Will Nixon

Posts: 31

18/10/2011 9:55 am

The Borough Council should have a system whereby a change of circumstances can be notified and assessed which may alter the current banding.

The first step is for the customer to approach the Borough Council who should be able to advise the customer of the next necessary steps.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Expert post

Mike Wilkins

Mike Wilkins

Posts: 45

28/11/2011 2:32 pm

The sad fact is that time on the waiting list is not usually a significant factor for waiting list priority.
Probably the most significant measure is some degree of 'medical priority. The idea is that the more debilitated you are, the
higher your priority for re housing, particularly if your medical condition, (and where you live), stop you, for example, from
getting around or about of your home. This could be inability to negotiate steps or stairs,for example.  But just being poorly,
even very ill, is not in itself enough.Other factors also count, like overcrowding and disrepair, particularly where any
disrepair has a negative effect.
Your local authority should be able to tell you say what kind of information they require about your health.This is either
a letter from your GP or consultant, or a form signed by them. Landlords may assess this either themselves or refer this to
a medical advisor who will say what priority this gives you. The key point here is that the information you present should be
confirming how your medical condition is affected, or made worse, by the place where you currently live.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Rate this topic

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

You must be signed in to rate.

Post a Reply

You must sign in to rate this topic or make a post

sign in register

Why not register?

Registration allows you to sign up for newsletters, comment on articles, add posts in the forums, quiz our panel of experts, and save articles and jobs in the My IH section.

Register now

Newsletter Sign-up

More Newsletters

Most active members

Most recent posts

  • From Dean Lawes , 23/07/2014 11:44 pm in succsession

    Hi this is a letter I just wrote in complaint to the council if you have a read you'll fully understand my situation.

  • From Terri Parkinson, 23/07/2014 2:48 pm in Preserved Right to Buy


  • posted Anonymously, 21/07/2014 12:29 pm in 42 Day Mutual Exchange Law!!! HELP

    It's an interesting situation because The Right to Exchange provisions of The Housing Act 1985 apply only to Secure Tenants not Asuured. I would say therefore that you might be on dodgy ground claiming deemed consnt because the landlord has not responded within 42 days although ironically your neighbour might make that argument.

  • From F451, 17/07/2014 12:54 pm in Jobs for Relatives in Housing Associations

    Now you are presenting a different case Andrew.

  • From F451, 16/07/2014 2:10 pm in Tenancy agreements social housing/housing associations

    Just one is acceptable - but which one?

  • posted Anonymously, 16/07/2014 1:43 pm in Arrears - 2 week NSP

    From my understanding,  if an NSP is issued for tenancy breaches, then the notice period is 14 days.

  • posted Anonymously, 08/07/2014 4:19 pm in Housing Association Secure tenancy into Shared Ownership - Rent Help and Advice.

    Shared Ownership rents are calculated from the general market rent.

  • posted Anonymously, 01/07/2014 1:16 pm in Weekly rent, monthly Direct Debit

    It just doesn't work, the only way you will get this to marry up is to change the charge element upon agreeing payments by DD to monthly payments.

  • From Housing Troll Returns, 30/06/2014 10:03 am in mutual exchange???

    Or perhaps of course, its been determined the other MEx partner would overcrowd a 2 bed or even there are reasons why the other partner is not being allowed to move that you cannot be told.

  • From Rose007, 28/06/2014 11:00 am in Succeeding the tenancy

    You'll find there are some experts and they are clearly marked.  You'll also find others that work within the housing field.  Just because someone works within housing doesn't mean the advice they provide is correct.  I myself work within housing and have done for some time.  With regards my comments on RTB, my brother succeeded to my mother's tenancy.  It was a 4 bed property and he lived in it with my other brother. 2 bed need.  I went to the succession appointment with him and was very surprised how unsympathetic the housing officer was.  She was adamant my ...

IH Subscription