Sunday, 26 March 2017

Second council approves Earls Court plans

Controversial plans to demolish the Earls Court exhibition centre and build 7,583 homes have been approved by a second council.

The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has granted outline planning permission for the Capital and Counties development, which has already been approved by neighbouring Hammersmith & Fulham Council.

West Kensington and Gibbs Green housing estates would be demolished as part of the scheme, and residents have fought a long-running battle against the plans. Last month they won the right to a judicial review of decisions made by the two councils.

The new development would include around 1,500 affordable homes, as well as offices, hotels, and community facilities.

Ian Hawksworth, chief executive of Capital and Counties, said: ‘We are delighted that the Earls Court masterplan has now been approved by both RBKC and LBHF.’

Jonathan Rosenberg, community organiser from the Save Earls Court campaign group, said: ‘Last night’s decision completes the alignment of residents and businesses who will be damaged by this greedy scheme. The destruction of trade and industry, the loss of thousands of jobs and the demolition of such an iconic part of our heritage in favour of luxury flats is a disgrace. Council tenants, Kensington residents and the exhibitions and events industry are united: we shall stop this scheme.’

-

Newsletter Sign-up

Related

Articles

IH Subscription