Given 2 hours to decide on a transfer
19/10/2010 0:26 am
Hi can anyone give me any advice on my situation. I have been waiting for a transfer for over 6 years. I live in a TINY box of a classed as a 1 bed flat with my six year old daughter. We finally ended up being 1st for a flat i bid on. The flat was advertised last Tuesday and the viewing was 4 days later on the Friday. We went along but couldn't view the flat as the guy from Peabody had the wrong key. We finally got to view the flat today (Monday) and were then told no 1 and 2 on the list didn't want it so it was ours if we did. The flat is on the other side of London - in Archway - we live in Battersea. We are desperate for more space but obviously this is a massive move for us in terms of any family support or social networks ( I am a single mum). Peabody gave me two hours to decide whether I want the property otherwise they would give it to someone else.
Obviously, asides from getting to terms with the fact that we will have to start a whole new life with regards to any support or friends, I have to find a new school for my daughter. I went to see the local school who told me they are hugely over subscribed and that anyway I would have to go through the council. In the 2 hours that they gave me to get home and try and make some calls to the council etc I could not get to speak to anyone to give me any advice on finding a school for my daughter.
I spoke to Peabody at 3pm - my 2 hour deadline for accepting/declining the flat - I explained my situation and begged for another 24 hours to decide a massive life changing decision for me and my daughter. They refused and said that I would be wasting their time. Eventually they agreed to give me until 5pm that day - a further 2 hours.
My question is - is it right for them to give me 2 hours - then 4 after much begging - to give them an answer as to whether I can move to the other side of London and find my daughter a school. These are huge huge decisions with many possible consequences and although I am desperate to move for some much needed extra space - can they tell me that I will lose my right to the flat if I don't reply in such a short time.
Any advice would be really appreciated. I am desperate to know where I stand.
Very many thanks if you have managed to read all of this...