Monday, 27 March 2017

Council told to move vertigo sufferer from high rise

A judge has ordered a council to rehouse a tenant with a fear of heights after it offered her a 16th floor flat in a tower block.

The Court of Appeal has ruled Westminster Council must offer Mrs El-Dinnaoui and her family alternative accommodation following a long-running legal battle.

The El-Dinnaoui family had been housed in a Westminster Council two-bedroom flat on the ninth floor since 2002, but applied for a transfer to a larger property following the birth of their third child. They viewed a larger 16th floor property on 4 June 2010.

After the viewing Mrs El-Dinnaoui collapsed in a lift and was taken to hospital. A subsequent hospital report said she had a panic attack and a ‘lifelong fear of high buildings’.

Following the incident Mr El-Dinnaoui refused the accommodation, but the council ruled that since he had turned down the property its duty to house the family was ended.

The housing officer said Mrs El-Dinnaoui could ‘learn to live’ in the 16th floor flat by covering the windows with camouflage, as the ninth floor flat was also high up, but did not have as clear a view of the ground.

The family called for a review of the decision, but this was upheld by the council. Mr El-Dinnaoui then took the case to the county court, which dismissed his appeal in May 2011. However the latest appeal, which was heard in December, was successful. The judge ruled the earlier decision was irrational.

Paul Skinner, the couple’s barrister, from Henderson Chambers, said this case reinforced the amount of evidence an authority is legally required to get before making a decision. The housing officer’s decision was deemed irrational because of the degree of unchallenged medical evidence from Mrs El-Dinnaoui’s doctor available at that time.

Jonathan Glanz, cabinet member for housing at Westminster Council, said: ‘We are disappointed with this decision. Westminster is in the centre of the capital and inevitably much of our accommodation is in high-rise blocks. We have a duty to provide temporary accommodation to homeless households, and despite the intense pressure on our housing stock we have continued to house the family throughout the appeal process. We will now be looking at the family’s case again.’

-

Newsletter Sign-up

Related

Articles

  • Investigation after fire rips through high-rise

    22 August 2016

    A London Fire Brigade investigation is underway after a blaze ripped through five floors of a council’s high-rise block on Friday.

  • Keepmoat to move into offsite construction

    15 August 2016

    Keepmoat will move into offsite construction this year as it continues to strengthen the housebuilding arm of its business.

  • Developer to make 5,000-home PRS move

    3 June 2016

    A developer is making a major move into Build to Rent development for the first time after agreeing a partnership to build 5,000 rental homes over five years.

  • Sector salaries rise by 2%

    1 April 2016

    Salaries for social housing professionals rose 2% in 2015, despite the sector’s drive for greater efficiency in response to government policy changes.

  • Councils predict rise in homelessness

    29 March 2016

    An overwhelming majority of local authorities to respond to a survey believe homelessness will increase over the next five years.

IH Subscription