Sunday, 01 March 2015

mutual exchange from a 1 bed to 2 bed

Posted in: Need to Know | Ask the Experts

11/04/2012 4:50 pm

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this discussion

Sort: Newest first | Oldest first



11/04/2012 7:00 pm

Go and look on Birmingham Council Website under Mutual Exchange to see what the policy is and see if you can download a copy or go and contact Shelter.  Did you put it on Homeswapper or was it others

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Chris Sinclair

Chris Sinclair

Location: in space
Posts: 6

11/04/2012 7:07 pm

hi rabbit this is the problem when i was looking a couple of years ago it was on the council website and on shelters website now i cant find it no where i was wondering if this has changed as i cant no longer find it ?the 4 way exchange was what i put togather myslef to get the 2 bed masionette

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Chris Sinclair

Chris Sinclair

Location: in space
Posts: 6

11/04/2012 10:28 pm

any body can point me in the right direction

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Lee Page

Lee Page

Posts: 108

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Miserable Sod

Miserable Sod

Posts: 12

25/04/2012 12:09 pm

Hello Chris

I will assume that you don't have any children living with you so you would usually be eligible for one bedroom.

Landlords will commonly allow one extra bedroom, but this is not always the case. There is legislation covering exchanges - the Housing Act Part IV section 92 and Schedule 3. The relevent ground for possible refusal in your case is Ground 3 in Schedule 3, "The accommodation afforded by the dwelling-house is substantially more extensive than is reasonably required by the proposed assignee."

You will probably be alright but it would be best to check with the landlord whose property you propose to move into.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Chris Sinclair

Chris Sinclair

Location: in space
Posts: 6

25/04/2012 1:50 pm

thanks for your reply misrable sod i do have a son who stays on the weekend  and also have parental rights and a letter from my housing officer which states  i am eligable for a 2 bed i just wanted a case where this has been done so i have a strong case just incase they try and turn me down

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

25/04/2012 4:05 pm

As already pointed out, the allocation policy is not relevant - it's a Housing Management decision, not Allocation - so don't get bogged down with that.
If the exchange helps another family who is either under/overoccupying, then you've a case that a refusal would not be reasonable, even though you're underoccupying.
You should also bear in mind the Council has 42 days to refuse your exchange - if out of time (get a receipt for your form when you apply) they cannot refuse you.
Although 4 way exchanges do happen, there's a lot that could go wrong (e.g. one party changes its mind) so be prepared for it to fall through.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



14/08/2013 11:30 am

how can i find out how long it takes to do get  a inspection when doing a mutual exchange

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



14/08/2013 11:39 am

i cant find how to srart a new post any assitance would be appreciated

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Rate this topic

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

You must be signed in to rate.

Post a Reply

You must sign in to rate this topic or make a post

sign in register

Why not register?

Registration allows you to sign up for newsletters, comment on articles, add posts in the forums, quiz our panel of experts, and save articles and jobs in the My IH section.

Register now

Newsletter Sign-up

Most active members

Most recent posts

  • From F451, 24/02/2015 4:38 pm in Query re RTB and affordable rent

    It would be so great to be allowed to discuss things in these areas again.

  • From Alan Ward, 23/02/2015 7:30 am in SECURE TENANCY

    Can housing association change my secured tenancy from a 2 bed to a 1 bedroom. I have complained for 15 years that my 15 year old bedroom is to small. Only can fit a single bed. That's all. Now they admit it's a 1 bedroom and want me to change my tenancy to a 1 bedroom also I have paid rent for 15 years and they say they owe me no arrears is this Legal?

  • From Alan Ward, 23/02/2015 7:23 am in Tenant's right to withdraw notice

    Hi. Can any one advice please. 15 years ago I swapped my 2 bed flat in Norwich to a 2 bed flat in Wimbledon. When I moved hear I questioned my then housing officer that the single bedroom was to small. After 15 years the housing associtation now say it's a 1 bedroom even though I have been paying for a 2 bedroom. Also they want me to change my secure tenancy from a 2 bed to 1 bedroom contract and tell me they owe me no arrears of rent. Is this legal?

  • posted Anonymously, 29/01/2015 8:09 am in Homeless occupant not being assisted by council

    Hi MFM.

  • posted Anonymously, 29/01/2015 8:08 am in Rehousing Of Council Tenant

    compenstion - yes, ask them.

  • From Rexroth, 19/01/2015 6:50 pm in To what extent can a RSL advise residents on financial matters.

    They need a licence.

  • posted Anonymously, 15/01/2015 11:17 pm in forced to end assured tenancy to start a joint one

    Can I ask as to how she is forcing you out? Has she asked you to leave or has she ended the tenancy? 

  • From Alan London, 13/01/2015 6:11 pm in Relationship break down and moving out with housing association tenancy

    Thanks. No info on the website regarding assignment or succession but in the tenancy agreement it only refers to the subject when talking about the death of the tenant. My partner is still quite young and although it would be nice to have the ability to assign...if it exists, there are other questions to be considered. Her job is not secure and she has been told that if she should need to claim housing benefit in the future then she would only be able to claim for half the rent should my name still be on the tenancy. Were ...

  • posted Anonymously, 05/01/2015 9:27 am in Housing Officer issues

    Hi Andrew,

  • From Rose007, 21/12/2014 4:22 pm in Death, Secure Tenancy, Downsizing and relatives moving in

    I advise you to seek proper advice on this.  There are many people that provide advice on this site that is not necessarily correct.  Have you now succeeded to the tenancy or is that still being looked into.  The Localism Act introduced further rules relating to succession.  caselaw is Newport CC v Charles considered by court of appeal.  The son kept up a pretence his mother was still alive when she had died a number of years previous.  The initial court hearing granted possession under Ground 16 which was overturned on appeal as more than 12 months had passed ...

IH Subscription