Saturday, 28 February 2015

Mutual Exchange question

Posted in: Need to Know | Ask the Experts

22/11/2009 7:51 pm

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this discussion

Sort: Newest first | Oldest first



Eva Silver

Eva Silver

Posts: 649

22/11/2009 11:57 pm

No you can swap with any Housing Association and you may be entitled to cash due to giving up several bedrooms.

Again has long has you and they have no rent appears and normally its up to your Housing Association whether accept the new tenant's. I suggest you do not lay out any money and wait until you in the office signing the papes to swap and also some of these Tenant's are time wasters. So ask them to bring they Housing Association forms (cannot remember the name but a particular name) ensure if you put your property on Homeswap you ensure you put the words no time wasters and come with transfer forms thinks is the word?

Again you can swap with any Housing Association or Council in the UK.

I do not know if you on Homeswap but remember you have a very good package. Get the best - get tenant's whom spend more on the property and ensure all written down what they and you are leaving behind and ensure that the Survey of the other Tenant done a proper inspection. I was involved and mine did a wonderful job but when I got here its was I it was a nightmare.

Be very careful and ensure all in order and remember again you have a very good package you ensure you get a good deal. Remember you may be lucky and get a Council Property with a Right to Buy.

I suggest on the morning going to sign the papers you pop around and double check all in order at the property you decided to take. If will not let you in go to the Housing Association and Council and tell them until you ensure all in order you will not sign.

I do not want to frighten you but no case here arrived and the tenant take the whole kitchen out.

Remember also you cannot get a repair done for at least six months. Only Health and Saferty issues.

If hit this then ring the Environmental Health Officer if you think a hazard.

You never know you luck you may get a wonderful tenant to transfer with.

Good Luck with your searching for a new home.

If in any doubt ring Shelter

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Eva Silver

Eva Silver

Posts: 649

23/11/2009 0:14 am

Hi again most Housing Association allow with a Mutual Exchange the parties a spare bedroom i.e. in one can have two and when you got three and downsizing you entitled to money due to your downsizing.

Only problem I see is if the family on any form of Benefits and due to the fact will only pay for what you need i.e. appears in they case two bedrooms. While the Housing Assocation may allow them to have the extra room the part under Housing Benefit's will not allow it.

Remember unless they can pay the top up - who knows??? -

Again I presume it depends where you live in London its very hard.

I heard around the Country could be a bit more helpful. But in London you got no chance. Again I know another case where did get the extra bedroom and two months later the Husand walk out and the Tenant was ask to downsize and the Housing Association and Court wouldn't change its mind.

So you can now see could be alot of hurdles to go over. So try and get the right Tenant from the start.

I sorry to tell you about the hurdles and remember people do let you down at the last minute.

Again speak to Shelter see if the February, 2010 deadline can be moved if you let down by Tenant/Tenant's but if this does happen please ensure you keep all the records to proof to the Housing Association exactly how many Tenant's willing to swap and then let you down at the last minute just in case take legal action against you.

Again be on guard with any tenant coming into your home. Please ensure you do all the checks around the new home and ask for proof that no ASB, Drug's or Issues and check out that Landlord because my new Housing Association is a very bad Housing Association not check out the Audit Reports on the Housing Association.

Sorry to go on and on

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Ian Greenidge

Ian Greenidge

Posts: 3

02/12/2009 3:57 pm

As a secure tenant you have certain rights of occupation, which mean that your landlord cannot take possession of the property unless it can prove to the Court that certain grounds are satisfied. Probably the most common ground is the failure to pay rent lawfully due.

One ground, which specifically applies to you as a person (other than a spouse or civil partner) who has succeeded to a secure tenancy, is where a property is under-occupied by the new succeeding tenant. A person is likely to be “under-occupying” if they do not require all the available bedrooms. This particular ground is a discretionary ground for possession which means that even though the Court finds that you are under-occupying it does not have to grant possession unless it also decides that it would be reasonable to do so and that suitable alternative accommodation is available.

Before it can start possession proceedings your landlord has to serve a notice on you confirming its intention to commence court action. The notice must be served more than six months but less than twelve months after your mother’s death.

From the information you have provided it appears that your landlord expects you to find alternative accommodation by bidding for another property through the “Locata Scheme”. I cannot see any reason in theory why you cannot also try and obtain alternative accommodation by way of a mutual exchange. However, as with any mutual exchange a landlord will usually have to consent to the new prospective tenants. Without seeing your tenancy agreement I cannot advise properly about the reasons your landlord could reasonably give for refusing to consent to a mutual exchange with the couple who currently want to swap with you. Your landlord may for instance be able to argue that:

• The couple would also be under-occupying as they on the face of it only require two bedrooms; or

• Its policy is always to offer properties which become (or will become) available due to under-occupation to its existing tenants or those on its waiting list.

It may be helpful for you to look at your tenancy agreement to check what, if any, restrictions are imposed on your ability to undertake a mutual exchange.

Should your landlord refuse to allow you to swap you could either take legal action yourself on the basis that the refusal was unreasonable or you could choose to stay put and defend any action by your landlord to evict you.

There are certain risks involved and you must therefore consider your options carefully. In particular, you could be in difficulties if you remain in your home and at some point your landlord directly offers you a property which you reject because you prefer to hold out for a swap. If proceedings are issued a possession order could be made against you at trial if the property offered is still available and the Court deems it to be suitable. Then you might find yourself with the limited choice of having to either accept that property or be evicted with no other accommodation to go to.

I would advise to take formal legal advice before embarking on a course of action.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

sarah  brown

sarah brown

Posts: 3

02/12/2009 5:21 pm

thank you for your advice. I spoke to a housing officer yesterday who checked with her manager who said it was my right to exchange, she said as soon as she recieve both patry's mutual exchange paper work she would action an approve it, but i phoned to speak to her today but was told she was unavailable and cant but help feel i may be getting the brush off! Im so worried, obviously i dnt want it to go to court, and im am not contesting a downsize, it just seems that the properties advertised on locata are £100 a week for a 1 bedroom which i cant afford and at the moment i am paying £86.50 a week for a 3 bedroom house! any advice is apreciated. thank you.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Eva Silver

Eva Silver

Posts: 649

02/12/2009 7:33 pm

Rebecca the above gentleman is right. Speak to Shelter if you can - may have to wait a bit of a time for a answer.

Unfortunately the rent thing - this is the way of the world. Put in the Homeway only looking for property of a particular Rent and normally the Council the cheapest.

I not sure how your stand if you get no reply to regarding the rent standard you want or how long your Landlord will be willing to wait. Unless you can proof one hundred that you cannot afford any more money than that I think you dead in the water. Sorry this is what I believe. I'm sorry I cannot tell you want you want to know exactly. With a three bedroom property going to one bedroom property you have lots of enquires but again the other person got to be entitled to it make sure you ask these question and especially if on Benefit's again Housing Benefit will only pay what they entitled too - unless in a position to pay the top up. Again I sorry you got to remember they will not be interested in what you pay its was they said you can afford. Again unless you can proof 100 per cent no way in a million years due to this and that. My daughter is 19 yrs old and at college earns roughly £50.00 per week making her pay £10.70 per week Rent and £7.00 per month Council Tax and costs her about £20.00 per week to get to college. See what she got to live on. See my point.

Where do you live

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Rate this topic

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

You must be signed in to rate.

Post a Reply

You must sign in to rate this topic or make a post

sign in register

Why not register?

Registration allows you to sign up for newsletters, comment on articles, add posts in the forums, quiz our panel of experts, and save articles and jobs in the My IH section.

Register now

Newsletter Sign-up

Most active members

Most recent posts

  • From F451, 24/02/2015 4:38 pm in Query re RTB and affordable rent

    It would be so great to be allowed to discuss things in these areas again.

  • From Alan Ward, 23/02/2015 7:30 am in SECURE TENANCY

    Can housing association change my secured tenancy from a 2 bed to a 1 bedroom. I have complained for 15 years that my 15 year old bedroom is to small. Only can fit a single bed. That's all. Now they admit it's a 1 bedroom and want me to change my tenancy to a 1 bedroom also I have paid rent for 15 years and they say they owe me no arrears is this Legal?

  • From Alan Ward, 23/02/2015 7:23 am in Tenant's right to withdraw notice

    Hi. Can any one advice please. 15 years ago I swapped my 2 bed flat in Norwich to a 2 bed flat in Wimbledon. When I moved hear I questioned my then housing officer that the single bedroom was to small. After 15 years the housing associtation now say it's a 1 bedroom even though I have been paying for a 2 bedroom. Also they want me to change my secure tenancy from a 2 bed to 1 bedroom contract and tell me they owe me no arrears of rent. Is this legal?

  • posted Anonymously, 29/01/2015 8:09 am in Homeless occupant not being assisted by council

    Hi MFM.

  • posted Anonymously, 29/01/2015 8:08 am in Rehousing Of Council Tenant

    compenstion - yes, ask them.

  • From Rexroth, 19/01/2015 6:50 pm in To what extent can a RSL advise residents on financial matters.

    They need a licence.

  • posted Anonymously, 15/01/2015 11:17 pm in forced to end assured tenancy to start a joint one

    Can I ask as to how she is forcing you out? Has she asked you to leave or has she ended the tenancy? 

  • From Alan London, 13/01/2015 6:11 pm in Relationship break down and moving out with housing association tenancy

    Thanks. No info on the website regarding assignment or succession but in the tenancy agreement it only refers to the subject when talking about the death of the tenant. My partner is still quite young and although it would be nice to have the ability to assign...if it exists, there are other questions to be considered. Her job is not secure and she has been told that if she should need to claim housing benefit in the future then she would only be able to claim for half the rent should my name still be on the tenancy. Were ...

  • posted Anonymously, 05/01/2015 9:27 am in Housing Officer issues

    Hi Andrew,

  • From Rose007, 21/12/2014 4:22 pm in Death, Secure Tenancy, Downsizing and relatives moving in

    I advise you to seek proper advice on this.  There are many people that provide advice on this site that is not necessarily correct.  Have you now succeeded to the tenancy or is that still being looked into.  The Localism Act introduced further rules relating to succession.  caselaw is Newport CC v Charles considered by court of appeal.  The son kept up a pretence his mother was still alive when she had died a number of years previous.  The initial court hearing granted possession under Ground 16 which was overturned on appeal as more than 12 months had passed ...

IH Subscription