Dispatches confirms move of Right to Buy into PRS
A Channel 4 documentary will confirm Inside Housing’s exclusive research which showed 40% of Right to Buy homes are being let privately.
A Dispatches investigation into Right to Buy homes being let privately follows on from work done by Inside Housing this summer.
The programme has used the Freedom of Information Act to reveal 40% of former Right to Buy homes are now being let privately. In six local authorities’ areas, more than half are let privately.
These findings cohere exactly with Inside Housing’s research, which was published in July.
The programme, which airs tonight, will explore some of the companies which seek to profit from the scheme.
It found the top 10 areas with Right to Buy homes in the private sector are:
1. Milton Keynes Council 67.74%
2. London Borough of Ealing 54.20%
3. Cheshire West and Chester 51.97%
4. Castle Point 51.33%
5. Chesterfield Borough Council 50.96%
6. Norwich City Council 50.08%
7. London Borough of Enfield 48.87%
8. Nuneaton & Bedworth 48.50%
9. Canterbury City Council 48.29%
10. Medway Council 48.00%
Milton Keynes also topped Inside Housing’s list, although some councils, such as Cheshire West and Chester, did not respond to both surveys.
The full data from Inside Housing’s research is available here.