Friday, 19 September 2014

Retaining my service charge payments for over a year

Posted in: Need to Know | Ask the Experts

12/03/2012 9:21 am

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this discussion

Sort: Newest first | Oldest first





Posts: 20

12/03/2012 10:11 am

I believe not if you and the other wrote to them.  Go off and google

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



12/03/2012 11:51 am

Well if they have admitted fault then they should have reduced your charge accordingly?  Legally I expect your lease allows for interest to be charged.

Plus a court would deem it unreasonable for you to withhold the entire service charge, you could just withhold the disputed amount.  If you have Ground Rent charged through the service charges as well then you are in even more of a sticky situation if they decide to pursue forfeiture...  To me it sounds like currently they have the upperhand.

I suggest you google the "Leasehold Advisory Service" and do some reading up ;-)

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



Location: SE15
Posts: 2

14/03/2012 1:26 pm

I was told the reason I had to pay interest is because of the clause 3.1 in the Leaseholder covenants, however when you read the clause is says it is rent related 'to pay specific rents', nothing about service charges incurring interest.

However the officer then goes on to say, that and any other monies...
I find this a bit ambiguous to say the least, seeing as there is nothing in the Leaseholder covenants for service charges that start at clause 7.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Scott Parker

Scott Parker

Posts: 5

15/03/2012 8:16 am

it is likely that the service charge is reserved as rent, the interest clause will then kick in notting hill choose to enforce it.

If you write to notting hill stating the proportion of the service charge you are withholding and why, pay the rest then they will adjust your account as they are a decent landlord.

It would be a bad tactic to withold all the service charge.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



15/03/2012 9:34 am

Surely if they can charge you interest on due money, you should be allowed to charge interest on any rebates due to you.  You could write to them saying if they drop their request of interest you will drop yours.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Jasmine Ellicott

Jasmine Ellicott

Posts: 18

15/03/2012 9:56 am

They can charge you interest.

Have you put the matter to an LVT (as described in your statement of rights) because until you do this they can argue that you have not contested the charges, and they are fully due.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



15/03/2012 10:24 am

One idea,

1 - You are withholding payments as you have been charged fro services that have not been provided (Lifts), if they agree to this statement then they should have carried forward a creidt for the overcharge through your service charge accounts.  Service charge accounts should be issued at the latest  6 months after their financial year ends. 

In respect to any refund, you need to understand the balance of the service charge accounts as a whole, as you will not get a refund pertinent to 1 service, it is the overall surplus / deficit covering the provision of all services that should inform this decision.

You also comment that charges are unreasoble? this is quite compicated to challenge, there are clear statutory protections for some service costs, info on this is easily accessible via the Leasehold Advisory Service Website.  Challenging "Reasonableness" of charges that fall outside of this category can be tough, if you wish to pursue it you will need to find comparitive costs from like schemes. 

Hope this helps a little, if you provide a bit more detail I may be able to expand upon my advice.

 Good luck

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply



15/03/2012 11:29 am

If the covenant states they can charge you interest then they can charge you interest.  Most leases refer to "rent" yet this is widely accepted within the legal profession as also including Ground Rent and/or Service Charges.

No you cannot charge it back - not unless the proviso's of the lease allow it - which it won't.  If you see this as unfair - then tough - people should read their leases and understand what they are signing before doing so.  Most people don't.

Unless you have exhausted the dispute with the HA and asked for a full breakdown and justification of costs a LVT will refuse your claim until that point. 

You still should be paying all portions of the service charge however witholding payment for the portion you have already disagreed with.  A Court or LVT will advise it is unreasonable of you to withhold complete payment if you are only disputing a portion of the overall charge.

You will struggle to argue/prove that they are incompetant or bad in their management technique.

Unsuitable or offensive? Report this reply

Rate this topic

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

You must be signed in to rate.

Post a Reply

You must sign in to rate this topic or make a post

sign in register

Why not register?

Registration allows you to sign up for newsletters, comment on articles, add posts in the forums, quiz our panel of experts, and save articles and jobs in the My IH section.

Register now

Newsletter Sign-up

More Newsletters

Most active members

Most recent posts

  • posted Anonymously, 17/09/2014 7:59 pm in Leaseholders' Obligations - Gas Safety

    I have a 90 year lease tenancy as a co-op tenant how does this affect me and can you please provide me with any law associated to your comments please.  I do have an interest in this.  Thank you.

  • From Paul Jones, 16/09/2014 0:04 am in Tenancy Succession - Urgent Advice

    Just to point out about "one of society's most vulnerable" : Addiction is an illness. Now, some addicts do terrible things and cause havoc. If this is the case then eviction should follow, but only after a recommoendation that the said addict go into recovery. There is a big difference between an active addict and someone clean and sober and causing no trouble. The second is a vulnerable person deserving of support. The first is generally a neighbour from hell.

  • posted Anonymously, 11/09/2014 2:55 pm in Consultancy to assess an "ill" house

    you dont specify what sort of illness and what, if any, signs of damage there are in your home. 

  • posted Anonymously, 10/09/2014 5:15 pm in Cannot Apply for a Parking Permit -request rejected by Council!

    If you belong to a motoring association they might be able to provide specialist legal advice. If your elderly mother lives with you then you might have additional rights under Equalities Act and/or human rights.

  • posted Anonymously, 03/09/2014 11:56 am in Circle 33 ENORMOUS market rent increase - any hope of challenging it?

    It is market rent, so of course it will increase as the market allows.

  • posted Anonymously, 28/08/2014 1:50 pm in Options for rehousing a person with mobility needs

    HI, Firstly the fact that two of you are working should really make no difference to the scenario although they may have a better chance in securing a private rented propetry is they wanted to do so.

  • From TrackDay, 27/08/2014 4:47 pm in What makes some estates worthy of regeneration while a lot are being demolished?

    Hi, first question last.  Park Hill Flats was one of the first of its type to be developed in England in the early 1960s.  The back to back terraced pre 1919 houses it replaced were highly unpopular.  The vision of Streets in the Sky had not been sullied by bad mangement, poor (in some cases) construction and thermal insulation, and anti-social behaviour.  As a result the flats were very popular when they first opened, and even up until the late 1980s many of the original tenants were still living there.  Later developments of similar flats in Sheffield failed to ...

  • From Housing Troll Returns, 27/08/2014 4:26 pm in Resident Scrutiny Committee Ascham Homes

    Crikey, is this what 'Ask the Experts' has devolved into?

  • posted Anonymously, 17/08/2014 7:15 pm in Removing a joint tennant

    seek legal advice on having the tenancy transferred into your name via a property transfer order.

  • From Tulyar, 10/08/2014 11:59 am in Transport cost reductions - benefits for landlord and tenant


IH Subscription