Court issues injunction against Dale Farm reoccupation
A council has been granted an injunction to stop Travellers and campaigners from moving back onto an illegal site.
Basildon Council was granted the injunction today (Monday) at the High Court to stop people re-occupying Dale Farm.
Last month, the council won the right to evict people from 49 illegal pitches and a series of violent clashes erupted as bailiffs and police forced their way through barricades.
Tony Ball, leader of Basildon Council, said: ‘I am satisfied that the injunction has been granted. This is routine practise following a site clearance and something we had always planned to do.
‘We believed that some previous residents of Dale Farm planned to illegally re-occupy the site and the injunction will put them in contempt of court for doing this, which could result in a prison sentence.
‘I would urge that travellers do not use Dale Farm for residential purposes, and from now on comply with the law and find new sites legally.’
The council said that work to clear the site was nearing an end and further work to secure the site against reoccupation was ongoing.